Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What Does It All Mean..

After being on Perez earlier today and seeing that some random lady is claiming that the reason for Birds and Fish dying all over the world is because the States has repealed the Don't Ask Don't Tell Policy for the military- it made me really curious about what exactly the bible says in order to suggest that homosexuality is indeed wrong.. I'm going to share with you the main references I found.. It is amazing to me how people have chosen to interpret these findings. What I always think about is.. how much of the bible was written by Jesus himself.. None of it.. Sure there are his exact words being quoted.. but I don't believe..to the best of my knowledge anyway.. that Jeses, the Son of God ever sat down and took a pen to paper.. or a quil to script :P and wrote down his feelings. To me it is kind of like.. My bestfriend Rebecca writing the book of my life.. In which case I'm sure her story line and everything would be very accurate, being around for most of my life.. however no matter how much research she completed into my background etc.. she could never be in my mind. to know my true thoughts and feelings about every indivdual matter that crossed my mind? It's just not possible. Anyways.. these are some Bible versus I found that people who are against homosexuality use to suggest that God is against homosexuality.. I think it's all bs.. however.. feel free to form your own opinion.

Of the 20 or so bible passages that have been interpreted as involving homosexual behavior, the seven listed below are mentioned most often. They are commonly referred to as "clobber" passages, because they are used by many social and religious conservatives to condemn homosexual behavior.

Romans 1:26-27: "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence [sic] of their error which was meet."

This passage is unique in that it is the only place in the Bible that refers to same-gender sexual behavior by women. Bennett Sims, the former Episcopal bishop of Atlanta, believes that these verses have done more to form Christians' negative opinion of homosexuality than any other single passage in the Bible. He writes: "For most of us who seriously honor Scripture these verses still stand as the capital New Testament text that unequivocally prohibits homosexual behavior. More prohibitively, this text has been taken to mean that even a same-sex inclination is reprehensible, so that a type of humanity known as 'homosexual' has steadily become the object of contempt and discrimination."

 

Leviticus 20:13
"And if a man lie with mankind, as with womankind, both of them have committed abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

  • Liberal Christians Some comments on the death penalty aspect of this passage by pastors and academics taking a liberal position are:
    • J. Nelson: "It is grounded in the old Jewish understanding that women are less worthy than men. For a man to have sex with another man 'as with a woman' insults the other man, because women are to be treated as property." She added that this passage is not part of the 10 Commandments, but merely part of almost 600 additional rules put forth via Israel's religious leaders.
    • D. Bartlett: "Nobody I know, even the most conservative, is saying homosexuals should be executed. I think people who think they take the Bible literally don't take it so literally as to want to execute people."
    • Krister Stendahl: "If you look at the whole chapter, a lot of things come in for capital punishment that no Southern Baptist would argue that capital punishment is appropriate for. So their reading is a little selective." 2
Many religious liberals believe that this passage does not refer to all homosexual behavior, but only to a specific form of homosexual prostitution - that performed in a Pagan temple.

2 comments:

  1. yeah, so I waited til 11:55 am to read this... and... being awake hasn't assisted lol. Urm... I'm pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete